The Prodigy 34 pcs sticker set

Huge set of The Prodigy stickers. 17 different designs (2 of each) and total of 34 stickers. Sticker sizes vary from 7 cm to 3,5 cm. Order here >

What software do you use? (part II)

Started by Brainstorm, June 10, 2003, 06:44:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brainstorm

I am equipped with:

Hardwares

Roland MC-303 ( well, stick on what you got, man! ;) )
Roland Alpha Juno 2
Roland R-8 Drum Machine
Roland MC-50
Roland TB-303
Roland S-50
Roland MA-8 Micro Monitor

Softwares

Fruity Loops 3
Acid 4
Wavelab 4
Nuendo 1.6
Waves Gold Bundle

I know it is too late but I like to show off too, huehuhuehue. And I also agree that using hardware is better.

Hi Ekko!

Could you explain how to sequence a MC-303 in Cubase or Nuendo? I connected them by MIDI cables through the joystick port. I can only sync my goovebox to the Fruity Loops. I can't sync my TB-303 too. There's no shop that sells something like Kenton MIDI Box or else, here. I live in Indonesia, for info.

And, why I can't login? ??? I have registered as Soundscape.

Regards

fab

Ekko

Soundscape would have been so much better than brainstorm ... ^_^

I'm using opera, never had problems with login in?
seems to be a common problem around here.

Nice collection of gear, man.

If I get you right here, you have two problems,
a) no distributor of midi retrofit-kits around there and
b) no midi access to the mc-303?

a) is a local problem, maybe you can get modofication charts or whatever on the net and take the risk of a diy-action?

b)
more info needed

the hardware-connection seems to work fine, since fruity receives MIDI-messages. Does the send-way work as well?

Does cubase receive MIDI-data from the mc in first line?
if no, it seems to be a driver/configuration problem
have you got a MIDI-interface or did you set up a daisy chain?
if the latter, how much gear is intended in it?
oh, yeah, you said you used the joystick port.
no more than 5 pieces or MIDI-equipment, if possible, because the optokoppler (no idea what's that in english) uses to weaken the signal after a few MIDI-in-plugs. Which might be an explanation for your problem as well, as cubase isn't set up with a  strong MIDI-software converter.

But I suppose it's a driver problem anyway. what card do you use?
and does all the other gear respond to cubase's MIDI-messages?

I would recommend to get a MIDI-interface nonetheless, you got enough gear to get latency problems already.
with every machine you attach to the chain, you get an awful 7ms more latency.
therefor i would try to put the r-8 and everyting that needs tight timing at first.

Cheers,
Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff

Liam wrote 'Experience' (maybe 'Jilted' too?) with MIDI daisy chaining.

Don't know if it solves your problems...but i'm using an old "JL Cooper Nexus 3x8 Midi Switcher" (i like it the old skool way). It's fucking good, and i can bring it with me everywhere - as i don't like computers in live performances (hardware ONLY).

Ekko

Guess what, I wanted to write that as  well (Liam with having everything in one long chain without too bad timing probs), but I thought "Naa, not a Liam-quote again"... :-)

Sure, you can do that, but you mustn't forget, that Liam used the W-30 to sequence, which means less controller-data for the received machines. MIDI is old, seriell and darn slow.
Nobody (including Roland and SCI, who invented MIDI) knows why it hasn't been replaced yet - awfuuuul!!
I use software to make tight beats, MIDI isn't capable of giving you tight drums that are 'on the spot', (as Experience shows well, by the way), and it's even less capable if packed into a daisy chain.

For gods sake, get good MIDI-interfaces, boys and girls all over the world!

Okay, nuff interface-praising.

What was I about to write?
Mmmpf...
Crazy MIDI ruined my mood again...

Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff

Hehe yea, but this is a Prodigy forum so it's always handly with a Liam quote :).
I've always kept it in mind since i read an interview with Liam : "The Roland TR-909 comes with only MIDI In and Out ports. This means it has to sit at the end of a lenghty MIDI daisy-chain beginning at the W-30".

Midi sucks, doesn't it? ;)
But back in the days, early 90's when there was no software available, some guys did some astounding beats (we all know Liam). Like the: Kaotic Chemistry, Acen etc, and the amazing Hyper On Experience (i.e "Thunder Grip", "Lords Of The Null-Lines", "Time Stretch"). That's just gotta be pure midi breakbeats. I think we're just lazy these days  : - )

I'd love to hear some of your work Ekko (and you others too)! Do you have something available on the web?
I got some of my own shit in here: http://www.dancetech.com/~stuff.
These are some of the songs i'm not ashamed of, yet

Ekko

Yep, that's the one quote I'll never forget, along with:
"I'd like to quote Keith here, who said 'you can never have enough SE-70's'"

and

some stupid wrong quote about a dynamic-processor he used, where he explained that the mid-ranges reach your ear before the bass-levels and he used that machine to correct that, hihi...

Yeah, there are good tunes out there being all MIDI-sequnced,
but never as good as the native-timing-stuff.
Okay, if you keep the MIDI-stream slow and reduce data (some gear has options like 'decrease MIDI-Output' or something, where after one sent status-byte only command-bytes follow, which brings it down to 2/3 already), but still... Nothing for me... brrr... :-)

Nice shit dude!
I'd especially like to hear King Dubby (wasn't there a track from Beats INt. called like that?) in better quality.

You seem to suffer from the same problem as me...:
One can immediately hear that you love Prodigy... :-))

Which is absolutely shitty, as far as it concerns me, because I had to work heavy for getting away from that.
Now that I got away, my tunes are like electrojazz-type of stuff.
And when I even *dare* to write something with proper beats, it immediately becomes a second Funky Shit or something.
Just a few days ago I started something that could be a rmx of Narayan. I tried so hard to make it different...

I don't have anything on the web, but I could send you something per mail or ICQ. Or, wait, I'll reactivate my old website. I used to sell music on there, but I do that differently now.
By the way: You should try that as well.
I sold single HipHop-beats for ads or wrote a friendly little piece for a firm that wanted to have a telephone-waiting-line-loop, its not much money, but it's good, honest money. Enough for cables at least ;-)

Cheers mate
Tradition IS a tradition

brainstorm

Hi
It's me again.I asked a friend about what he used to sync his instruments. He said that he uses the MOTU MIDI Converter, is it good guys? I dont know. But it takes too much. I only have a MIDI joystick cable converter. Huehuehuehue:)

I use to sequence every pattern in my music into their own sequencer. I need the MIDI to sync the clock. So, when I play it live, I got the same tempo. I play music in a duo with two MC 303s, synths, and sampler. And we combine our pattern to create a song. It feels so exciting when you play a song by combining

I tried to create a rhytm by MC 50. But it sounds bad..bad...bad... And I never use that way anymore, except for the R-8. Because it has the sequncer broken.

Ekko, I use Monster Sound Soundcard. I can sync the MC into Fruity Loop, but got a great latency. Well, maybe I need to add more RAMs. I like to create a loop in fruity too, although some friends have mocked me. That's a toy they said. But I feel comfortable to use it:).

Stuff, how much the price of the JL Cooper Nexus 3x8 Midi Switcher? Maybe I could consider between the MOTU.

Thanx anyway guys.:)

Regards

Soundscape

ps: soundscape, sounds nice, isn't it Ekko?:)      

Stuff

QuoteYep, that's the one quote I'll never forget, along with:
"I'd like to quote Keith here, who said 'you can never have enough SE-70's'"

Yeah the SE-70! what do you think about it? I've only had one for a little while, mostly played with some distorsion etc (isn't thats why we bought one ;) we don't expect some "top notch Lexicon reverbs" from the SE-70). The pitch-shift algorithms is cool too.

You got that right, there's nothing tighter than some step-sequenced beats in Fruity Loops running smoothly together with a midi sequencer.

QuoteNice shit dude!
I'd especially like to hear King Dubby (wasn't there a track from Beats INt. called like that?) in better quality.

Is there already a tune out there called "King Dubby", Norman Cook did one with Beats Int.? Anyway my tune is a tribute to the old dub-master 'King Tubby'.
But it's nice that you liked this track, it's one of my latest work (loads of tape dealy and stuff from Logic). Unfortunatlely i'm not good at mastering at all so this tune sounds a little bit crappy in 'good quality' me thinks (mixed on cheap JVC hi-fi speakers). But i will get this one mastered by a 'pro'.. (before this year ends i hope ;). So i may dare to send it to some labels.
I'll add you to my icq, so we may can swap some tunes in higher sound quality.

QuoteYou seem to suffer from the same problem as me...:
One can immediately hear that you love Prodigy... :-))

Which is absolutely shitty, as far as it concerns me, because I had to work heavy for getting away from that.
Now that I got away, my tunes are like electrojazz-type of stuff.
And when I even *dare* to write something with proper beats, it immediately becomes a second Funky Shit or something.
Just a few days ago I started something that could be a rmx of Narayan. I tried so hard to make it different...

Hehe yeah! you should hear our newest tune, it's like listening to any of the "Experience"-tracks with some own drill&bass influences added. The arrangement and everything, it's soooo much Prodigy.
It's hard to avoid the Prodigy influences. But i think in this way: What we're missing from the Prods right now - we can try to do it ourselves. Because Liam is so into punk/rock stuff. But we (at least me) prefer his dance/electronic influences.

keith_flint

Hey,

Can somneone help me out here:
I just go the 'Acid pro v3.0', and I could use some tips&pointers on what to do with it, I am new to the music creating world, so I ould use as many ideas as possible, and as much help as possible.

Thanks, respect.
- Aim 4.

Stuff

i would love to help you with that one, though i've never used Acid Pro  ::)  but i've heard that it's very good at timestretching. which is good i.e. if you want a slow drumbeat to become a bit more hardcore without changing it's pitch

keith_flint

Hey, I just got 'Fruity Loops' v3.56 today, ands I need some pointers on how to work it, any help would be appreciated, thanks, and respect. ;D
- Aim 4.

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.