1 Love: NME Warchild Album
(B-Unique / Warner 0927 49371 2)
01. 03:08 Starsailor - All Or Nothing (The Small Faces, 1966)
02. 04:45 Feeder - The Power Of Love (Frankie Goes To Hollywood, 1984)
03. 04:00 Sugababes - Killer (Adamski, 1990)
04. 02:59 The Muse - House Of The Rising Son (The Animals, 1964)
05. 04:25 Stereophonics - Nothing Compares 2 U (Sinead O' Connor, 1990)
06. 04:34 Faithless & Dido - Dub Be Good 2 Me (Beats International, 1990)
07. 04:21 Oasis - Merry Xmas Everybody (Slade, 1973)
08. 03:32 Elbow - Something In The Air (Thunderclap Newman, 1969)
09. 03:32 Ms Dynamite - Back To Life (However Do You Want Me) (Soul II Soul, 1989)
10. 03:32 Manic Street Preachers - Out Of Time (Chris Farlowe, 1966)
11. 03:59 Badly Drawn Boy - Come On Eileen (Dexy's Midnight Runners, 1982)
12. 05:02 Prodigy - Ghost Town (The Specials, 1981)
13. 06:26 Jimmy Eat World - Firestarter (Prodigy, 1996)
14. 04:17 McAlmont And Butler - Back For Good (Take That, 1995)
15. 03:44 Darius - Pretty Flamingo (Manfred Mann, 1966)
16. 04:34 More Fire Crew - Dreams (Gabrielle, 1993)
Originally released in 2002 in partnership with NME to celebrate their 50th anniversary and 50 years since NME printed the first ever singles chart in the UK. 1 Love saw the cream of British artists come together to pick their favourite number one to cover. Having appeared on the 1995 HELP album, Oasis continued their support of War Child with an acoustic rendition of Slade’s Christmas classic ‘Merry Xmas Everybody’. Stereophonics chose ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ with Kelly Jones’s gravelly vocal complementing this stripped back version of the track written by Prince, performed by The Family and taken to number one by Sinead O’Connor in 1990.
Faithless and Dido stamped their mark on Beats International’s ‘Dub Be Good To Me’ whilst Jimmy Eat World transformed Prodigy’s ‘Firestarter’ stripping it back but keeping the dark and ominous mood of the original. The Prodigy themselves paid homage to Liam Howlett’s heroes The Specials with their own brooding version of ‘Ghost Town’.
The Manic Street Preachers joined Oasis in appearing on their second album for War Child with a cover of ‘Out Of Time’ and Muse began their journey with the charity by adding their unique spin to 1964 number one ‘The House of the Rising Sun’ by The Animals.
Elsewhere Elbow take on Thunderclap Newman with a low-fi cover of ‘Something In The Air’, there are contributions from Starsailor, Badly Drawn Boy teams up with Jools Holland and his Rhythm and Blues Orchestra and Feeder give a haunting, pre-John Lewis cover of ‘The Power of Love’.
1 Love is part of a series of four releases by War Child Records making the amazing music artists have donated to the charity available on DSPs and vinyl for the first time. All proceeds from these releases will directly fund War Child’s life saving work with children affected by conflict.
Best Of Techno - Vol. 4
Hitti Buumi 4
Navigator: Chart Your Own Course
Only For The Headstrong
Dance Now 15
Certain Damage Vol. 70
Drew's Famous - Electronica
United Stance of Techno
Ministry Of Sound - The Annual III
Ministry Of Sound - The Annual II
Techno Trax: Vol. 11
The Second Chapter - Hardcore European Dance Music
The Third Chapter - Breakbeat House
XL Recordings: The Remix Chapter - Hardcore European Dance Music
Independents Day ID08
Techno Trax: Vol. 4
Urbal Beats 2
Kris Needs Must!
Brit Hop and Amyl House
Jock Rock 2000
MTV Amp 2
XL Recordings: The American Chapter
Order to Dance III
Fox Sports Presents Game Time
Mad For It
Maximum Electronica Hits - Vol. 1