Naturalness?

Started by Stuff, November 30, 2002, 04:46:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuff

I need some help finding a plugin/fx that gives the sound a dimension of warmth and naturalness. I'm tired of software sample editing that only end up sounding digital (crystal clear & crisp!).
Please, give me some advice on how to get the sound more hot/analogue.

/ Stuff

Zed

hmm.. try some reverb, maybe some magneto as well...
if i was in world war 2, they'd call me T-34!

Ekko

Use THD and Dominion from Sascha Eversmeier. It's fro free, written by a student, and the new producer from Michael Jackson (some strange italian HipHop / R'n'B-guy) uses them.
And most people around here.

I'm sure it's exactly what you need!

Maybe you could use something like an Exciter or a Vitalizer as well.
Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff (login problems)

Thank you!
I will check out the Sascha Eversmeier stuff.
And I 've thought about buying me a Behringer Ultrafex for hardware..
Well, I will also check out any s/w Exciter and Vitalizer.

(I also like the Granulizer in Fruity Loops hehe ;-)

Greetings

Ekko

www.Digitalfishphones.com

Really professional plugins for dynamic editing and overall sound shaping.

If you really plan on buying the Ultrafex make sure you get the Ultrafex II.
We have that thingie here, it's one of the better machines from Behringer (ahem...), the Exciter is very good. Also used on some Prodigy-tracks.
It sounds very typical, you might get that harsh FOTL
3 and 12kHz-rattle.
I'm not sure about BGAT, sounds like they used something different there, but it might just be my ears.

Exciters should be used wise, they can make the song sound very stressed.

...but they kick ass!

There are two sorts of people out there, people who love exciters and people who hate them.

Have fun with the gear,
greetings
Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff (login failure)

Damn! I hate those login problems..... anyway..
I have some questions for Ekko.

Which option can be the best about connecting a "Behringer Ultrafex" to a mixer: Through one of the Aux-channels?? (so I can choose which specific sound I want to Enhance/Excite)

But... it aslo seems like the Ultrafex is a great tool for mastering the whole finished mix/track...
So, is it a good choice to connect an Ultrafex between the mixer and the DAT?

Nowadays Behringer provides "Ultrafex PRO Ex3200", is it just the next version after "Ultrafex II"?

Regards
/ Stuff

Ekko

Never put a mastering tool into the AUX-ways.
An exciter is always only used on the main out.

Meaning you have to use the master insert-points or directly between mixer and DAT, like you said.

Using an enhancer on a single sound is very dangerous, because enhancers and vitalizers add some frequenceys
(the even multiple harmonics of the ground-tones), which will cause the effected signal to sound different, mostly more clear and just more 'lively' than the rest. Which is the effect you want to have on the master signal.

Of course, you might wanna use it for weird effects on just some certain channels, but that's quite experimental.

And never switch it on before you are satisfied with the mix.
An exciter is always the last instance of the mixdown, but if you think you can leave it out, don't use it.

It mostly comes right after the limiter.
As said, it's the last thing you put on the mix, because everything that would come after it (Eq or whatever alters frequencys) would change the overtones/harmonics.
Which *might* sound odd on some stereos.

Much fun
Tradition IS a tradition

Stuf (login troubles)

Ok, thanks for the information.
I guess that my knowledge about how to use a Ultrafex could have been better. ::)
But I haven't purchased one yet. So when/if the time comes, I will at least know how to connect it. ;D

Greetings!

Ekko

That's the right way ;-)

But as said, get the Ultrafex II ...!

Still cheap but way better than No.1
Tradition IS a tradition

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.