Software.. that tears up the place

Started by Stuff, October 11, 2002, 05:15:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuff

What's that software that FUTURE MUSIC use in this article: http://www.nekozine.co.uk/prodigy/futuremusic/diyprodigy.html ??

Ekko

They don't talk about software in the article, as far as I'm concerned. Liam uses mostly hardware, Cubase, ReCycle, the Pro Tools stuff and maybe some plug ins are about the only software he uses.
If you're looking for a good step sequencer for creating drums and more, you might wanna check out Fruity Loops.
The best software for creating music on a step-sequencing based format, if you ask me.
Very easy. Reads .wav's and is learned to handle in about half an hour.

Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff

Ok, thanx for the tip!
I'm heading for the Fruity land right now, to check out the drum-edit opportunities and maybe i'll smoke some bana skins.

Ekko

QuoteOk, thanx for the tip!
I'm heading for the Fruity land right now, to check out the drum-edit opportunities and maybe i'll smoke some bana skins.

Well well, then greet Captain Cabin from us all.
Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff

QuoteThey don't talk about software in the article, as far as I'm concerned. Liam uses mostly hardware, Cubase, ReCycle, the Pro Tools stuff and maybe some plug ins are about the only software he uses.
If you're looking for a good step sequencer for creating drums and more, you might wanna check out Fruity Loops.
The best software for creating music on a step-sequencing based format, if you ask me.
Very easy. Reads .wav's and is learned to handle in about half an hour.

Great opportunities in Fruity Loops (especially that it works in VST and Logic).

But how do i stop a sample in the middle of it's loop on the sequencer in Fruity Loops?
For an example: We have a vocal sample in WAV that says "Drop the beat" ;).
If we want it to shout out loud: "(Drop)(Drop)(Drop)(the beat)".. It will sound like this: "(Drop) (the/Drop) (beat/the/Drop) (beat/the/Drop) (beat/the) (Beat)"....["( / )" = symbolizes many sounds at the same time..].

And the velocity function on the step-sequencer only allows us to change the sound, at the same step that the sample begins... so how do we cut a sample in the middle of.. it??
I think this function must be available in the program, or else the manufactures has work to do in further versions of Fruity Loops!

Ekko

Great opportunities in Fruity Loops (especially that it works in VST and Logic).

But how do i stop a sample in the middle of it's loop on the sequencer in Fruity Loops?
For an example: We have a vocal sample in WAV that says "Drop the beat" ;).
If we want it to shout out loud: "(Drop)(Drop)(Drop)(the beat)".. It will sound like this: "(Drop) (the/Drop) (beat/the/Drop) (beat/the/Drop) (beat/the) (Beat)"....["( / )" = symbolizes many sounds at the same time..].

And the velocity function on the step-sequencer only allows us to change the sound, at the same step that the sample begins... so how do we cut a sample in the middle of.. it??
I think this function must be available in the program, or else the manufactures has work to do in further versions of Fruity Loops!

You can't stop the sample somewhere in the song.
You also can't exactly stop the sample in its middle.
Not without changeing pitch.
Well, you can, but then you have to use the
volume-envelopes which can be accessed over the sample-window. Then you'd just have to try shorten the decay and release times as long until it cuts sharp through the middle of the sample.
The problem is, that you now have an altered sample, because Fruity Loops processes sample-editing mostly destructive. Only plugins are processed non-destructive.
So you'd have to put the original sample in it a second time, if you want it in its full form as well.

But there's another way which should be the solution to your problem.
In the sample-window look at the page with the envelopes and check the box 'Cut itself' or "Cut by itself' or something. Then change both alterable values to 1.

Done.
Now the sample
Tradition IS a tradition

Fierze

Well, one of the best things about the Fasttracker way of sequencing was the mute symbol (-) that could be inserted everywhere on a track just like a sample. The result was, of course, that whatever was on the actual channel was stopped/muted, and this little thing really opened up new worlds of creativity. I have not seen this function anywhere else, and frankly, it is a crying shame since it should be easy to do! Is there anything similar to it in Fruityloops? In Logic?? Anywhere???

Ekko

A total shame, yes.
No way in Fruity, at least not as uncomplicated as you described.
I mostly use the same sample multiple times, which is extremely uncomfortable and uneconomic, but the only way.

I don't get why Fruity lacks this function, really.

Well, in Logic and Cubase:
Just take the sample and copy it and work the copy into the right form.
Tradition IS a tradition

kenzie

For editing your samples like you described i'd suggest a good sampling program to supplement Fruity L00ps
I use Wavelab...a lot of peeps have told me that Recycle is the ultimate editor - I know that APhex Twin guy gives it a lot of praise ( what do you think of those two programs Ekko? )

But the thing is...i can't figure out that fucking Recycle...and there's no way i'll ever read a fucking manual...i study too much already
you've got to open up your eyes and see the light

Ekko

Wavelab is great, but TC Spark is even better, not for sample-processing, but for pure HD-cut.
Hard to learn, but once you get into it, it's way faster than wavelab. Only available on Mac, though :-(

Recycle is cool, but more of a toy, if you ask me.
The right thing for people like Funkst
Tradition IS a tradition

Fierze

If Squarepusher & Aphex Twin use toys to make their music, than toys are all that's needed. If I could do their breaks, I would NEVER need to look any other way. Installing Recycle tomorrow..  ;D

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.