The Prodigy 34 pcs sticker set

Huge set of The Prodigy stickers. 17 different designs (2 of each) and total of 34 stickers. Sticker sizes vary from 7 cm to 3,5 cm. Order here >

Good and cheap synth

Started by Arie, October 09, 2002, 12:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arie

In the past when I would want to use a synth to connect it to my computer, I would always borrow them from friends. Now I would like to buy one myself. I don't know much about synths, so I'm hoping that someone here can give me some good advice as to what to buy. I don't want to spend too much money on it, but I would like a good one. So, what synth is good for me... and cheap? Afterall, I am Dutch ;p

Zed

it depends what kind of music you're going to make, and what kind of function you want synth to do - synthesis or sequencing, etc.
if i was in world war 2, they'd call me T-34!

Arie

Kind of music, hmm, good question. Something with beats and breaks anyway ;) As for the function, I have no idea.

Zed

erm... i can't say it's cheap, but it seems you need few good  things: sampler, drum machine, and some good synth. i'm just not sure if you can buy only one synth to create whole music. how much of money you're gonna ruin for synth?

Arie

Another good question I haven't thought about. No idea really what I would like to spend. I would like to keep it cheap at first and as time goes on I can always build up things more. I have no idea what is a normal price for a synth really. I would like something which with I can do several things so that I don't have to buy like ten things at once to be able to do something, know what I mean? I would like to keep my startup nice and simple and I can always expand later I think.

Zed

QuoteAnother good question I haven't thought about. No idea really what I would like to spend. I would like to keep it cheap at first and as time goes on I can always build up things more. I have no idea what is a normal price for a synth really. I would like something which with I can do several things so that I don't have to buy like ten things at once to be able to do something, know what I mean? I would like to keep my startup nice and simple and I can always expand later I think.
actually, i'm not sure if there is something cheap in general, all musician equipment is overpriced. if you need something "all in one" then you should use computer for that, that's the cheaper solution. with good software you'll get all what you need, i think. ask Ekko, maybe he can recommend something.

Ekko

Looks like Arie needs a workstation?

Someting like the W-30 but with better sample-functions.
Unfortunately there are noo cheap workstations around anymore, just Korg Karma and machines like that.
Too expensive and most of the functions ruin the creative flow. Well, a question of taste and workflow, of course, but I wouldn't be able to write something clever with that.
The problem is, that with a synth alone you won't get very far. You'll need something to sequence and something that provides beats and other stuff, all the things Zed mentioned before. But maybe you just want to have some synthsounds?

Okay, if you're *only* looking for a synth, I'd recommend
something like the Nord Lead II or a Virus B.

It really depends on what kind of sound you wanna create.
The Virus for example is said to be a trancey machine - don't be afraid, it doesn't mean you can only make trance-stuff with it, it's totally versatile, but it has this certain twilighted feel to it. Can't explain it better. A Massive Attack machine.
Whereas the Nord Lead is much colder and harder, it's more the one for crunchy lead-sounds and in-your-face-stuff.
Both are avaible with a clavia.

Tradition IS a tradition

Stuff

I bought a fully functional Roland Juno-106 from my music teacher a acouple of years ago. I payed 2000 swedish kronor for it (it's about 200 us dollars), I think that is cheap for a SUPERB machine like the Juno 106.
Try this one Arie. You can make superb analog string sounds with it, and fat-ass basslines aswell.

Ekko

Yeah, good idea!

It's really cheap and easy to learn!
And Liam has one as well... :-)
Tradition IS a tradition

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.