What is a Synthesizer

Started by Firestarter, January 29, 2002, 09:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firestarter

I know it's an electronic piano but....How does it sounds? I don't seem that I know how.

techno4yourhead

it aint a electronic piano.
It's a thing with lots of nobs and switches, which are used to create synthesis.
Using a white noise generator and wave tables.
Some have a keyboard built in, others are rack units which you play via MIDI from a mother keyboard.

Ekko

it aint a electronic piano.
Yes, it ain't.

It's a thing with lots of nobs and switches, which are used to create synthesis.
Using a white noise generator and wave tables.
Some have a keyboard built in, others are rack units which you play via MIDI from a mother keyboard.

Some of them, yes, but they do not only use white noise.
In fact, most Synthies just use an oscillator (or more) which generate an electric impulse, that can be shaped with various types of oscillations. For example, the most known and mainly for the typical club-bass-sound used shape is a pure sine.
YOu might know that one from the Physics-classes.
It sounds kinda 'round' and full and mostly warm.
Other wave-shapes are saw, triangle, s&h (which stands for sample & hold, it's mostly used for LFO's (Low Frequency Oscillators)) and s&g (sample & glide, also mostly LFO).

More common wave-table synthies are also named Romplers, as they mostly play a preset-sound from their rom.
Liam has loads of it, but he alters the presets quite a lot, so no one can 'discover' the presets.

If you wanna know more a bout synthesizers and how you use them, you're welcome to ask, I've gotta shut now.
Greetings,
Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Firestarter

Yeah I do have some questions :D

In Narayan (My favorite song) there is a main Noise "A kinda bell echoing" Is it a Synth?  It's an electronic sound though! Makes me have butterflies!

Ekko

In Narayan (My favorite song) there is a main Noise "A kinda bell echoing" Is it a Synth?
Tradition IS a tradition

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.