Making Music

Started by Ekko, October 06, 2001, 01:43:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ekko

Hi there,
I'd really like to have someone up here, talking about the music itself, no release dates, no speculations about further live-shows, just the sound.

I love Juge's site, since he's the only one (-afaic-), having a proper Equipment-section and quite a nice sample-section with constant updates (-till a few weeks ago... Juge? I sent you a mail with sample-excerpts attached and a few new spotted facts regarding the gears. Interested in forwarding to an 'almost complete' Equipment-section? I'd do the work, would be great to see a Prodigy-site with vast musical content, since we have at least... mhm... let me count...none of them.)

So, to make a step into the direction: I'm fascinated by the more uncommon tracks, like Narayan or Climbatize, as they show Liams real musical talent. It's always those tracks, that are less known and played, that are the rockets.
I also think that Smack My Bitch Up is not too clever, musically seen. It surely rocks, but it's not that thing of a musical milestone, as I'd describe Climbatize or Poison.

Well, that's it by now, people with knowledge on the technical site are warmly welcomed. Oh, and all others are surely as well.

SeeYa, Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Ekko

It's so nice replying yourself.

Come on lads, I know you're out there!

Tradition IS a tradition

Arie

I would still like to buy a Moog Prodigy just for fun one day, that's all I had to share about equipment really. Also, check out the Downloads section for a remix which I made. Have fun modding here Ekko! :)

Ekko

YOU made a remix?

Really? Sorry, this sounds not like it's meant to be.
Hell yeah, I'll go and see.

A prodigy? Do it! I mean, it's not worth the money if you want to make music with it, but if you see it from the collectors standpoint, go ahead.

Greetings,
Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Zed

Well, Ekko, it would be nice if some one give a subject to discuss. Because even just technical side of making music is pretty big, and it would be easier to start if we get some concrete subject. I mean something like "how to ..." for example. I will be glad to share my knowledge. I just need something concrete to discuss...
if i was in world war 2, they'd call me T-34!

kenzie

Heh yeh true
I agree with you that it is the tracks that aren't well known in the mainstream that make the album. And that's why I think Liam thought Jilted wasn't ready. Ok of course the obvious tracks(Poison, Their Law, Voodoo Ppl, Break +Enter) were completed and great but I think tracks like C.Sting, Skylined, and Full Throttle needed a bit more work - what I'm saying is you can hear the potential in the songs and it's great but it's almost like there is sumthing missing i dont know what, but it's that sumthin' that makes you go back and listen to that song again and again and again...like Climbatize , mindfields etc. and like Weather Experience ( there was a stage where that was the only track I listened to for a week )

And thats why i'm glad we aren't getting any concrete dates for the album - that means Liam isn't being rushed by the record company's and he can make the album perfect....
you've got to open up your eyes and see the light

techno4yourhead

In my opinion Skylined, Claustrophobic Sting and Full Throttle wipe the walls, ceiling, windows and floor with Mindfields (boring) and Climbatize (weak).  They do this before eating them for breakfast, naturally.

Bit off subject there maybe, but Mindfields is soo uninspired.  I would definately say most of Fat Of The Land sounds like record company pressuring the album to come out.  Funky Shit was the best tune on it really and I think that was probabaly supposed to be on Jilted, because they were playin it live no so long after Jilted came out.  Perhaps it was cut from that album cos of lack of space.  Breathe and Firestarter appeared in the live show in 95 (and should have stayed live only tracks like Rock and Roll did, in ma opiniony) and Smack My Bitch up, Diesel Power and Fuel my Fire appeared in '96.  The only "new" tracks on Fat Of The Land were Serial Thrilla and Climbatize.  And Serial Thrilla kicks for the first minute then gets really boring.  Climbatize is good musically but it's not really up to the standard of most other Prodge tunes likes.

Just me opinion tho.

Ekko

Yep.

I noticed that so often, everyone sees 'Quality' in a different light. For some it's a quality-tune when it just blows your ass away from the world, for others it's the musical site, detailed compositions like Climbatize for example.
It really isn't possible to convince someone why a track is better/more quality than another, since everyone holds different standarts Prodge has to match.

Mh, afaic Funky Shit was written after Firestarter and Breathe (Liam stated that it was the third or fourth track he wrote in an interview once).
I don't think it would have fitted into MFTJG, he used completely different instruments and it's mixed very different.

Yeah? You think the FOTL sounds like pressured writing?
Mhm, hard to say I find. To me it sounds quite detailed, which means he had time to texture it way through.
But he might be a type of writer that gets better the more pressure he experiences.
In fact I think he works good that way.
Me too, by the way.

Greets,
Ekko
Tradition IS a tradition

Ekko

Oh, Arie?

Still interested in buying a Moog Prodigy?
I found one, not too expensive (290
Tradition IS a tradition

techno4yourhead

Nah you are talkin bollox there mate cos they were playin Funky Shit live in summer '95, it was even on TV from Glastonbury that year.  You could probabaly download that somewhere.  Breathe an Firestarter were never played live till the Illford Island gig in October '95.

Ekko

Really? Didn't know that, then he stated a little ambigously
Still strange, since F_shit is totally different to MFTJG, must have been written after a studio-rebuild
Tradition IS a tradition

techno4yourhead

Hmm, the version on Fat Of... has a different bass line to the version they used to play live, also different ending.

juGe

Hmm, the version on Fat Of... has a different bass line to the version they used to play live, also different ending.

The breakdown of noises in the end of Funky Shit live version had to be removed cause the copyright reasons. Or if I remember correctly the The Shining-sample was too expensive to use. BTW if you listen carefully Crazy Man you can hear it there too ;)
It's gonna happen, but not yet ya know?

Ekko

The breakdown of noises in the end of Funky Shit live version had to be removed cause the copyright reasons. Or if I remember correctly the The Shining-sample was too expensive to use. BTW if you listen carefully Crazy Man you can hear it there too ;)

Right, have you seen Shining? My favourite film, btw. Alongside 2001. In fact I love nearly every Kubrick movie.
That crystal-like sound at the end that's repeated all the time, that's the one from the Title/beginning of shining and crazy man has got this like screamy one right behind the funky-shit sample at the beginning.
Plus, crazy man uses recycled smack my b. up sounds, but I bet you alredy noticed that...

Funky shit live has another synth-line and differently filtered
TB-303 sounds

Tradition IS a tradition

juGe

Right, have you seen Shining? My favourite film, btw. Alongside 2001. In fact I love nearly every Kubrick movie.
That crystal-like sound at the end that's repeated all the time, that's the one from the Title/beginning of shining and crazy man has got this like screamy one right behind the funky-shit sample at the beginning.
Plus, crazy man uses recycled smack my b. up sounds, but I bet you alredy noticed that...

Funky shit live has another synth-line and differently filtered
TB-303 sounds

Yeah, I have seen.. really great movie and Jack Nicholsson is also my favourite actor :)
It's gonna happen, but not yet ya know?

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.