The Prodigy Sticker Set
Show your support with The Prodigy Stickers

Order here

why should the prodigy change?

Started by St8ofbass, June 28, 2002, 06:10:19 PM

dessie


St8ofbass

"I can remember martin ranting at me to go piss off and follow oasis because they never change.....now your celebrating the fact that the prodigy are doing the same by not changing....please"

ouch!  :) point taken (althjough I'm sure I didn't tell you to "piss off" ... what I was trying to say, and perhaps not very effectively, is that artists shouldn't change for the sake of it, just to say they've moved on. Change can also be a retrogressive step. In whioch case, I'd rather a lot of bands woul;d just split up rather than walking that homogenisation treadmill.

However I still mantain that there is a movement forward with BGAT. The beats and song structure are closer to standard (punk) rock, the chorus b-line more like  the Chili Peppers than anything the Prod have done before, the synth noises and vocal fx like nothing before. The immediate things like Keiths vox and the guitars are very FOTL, but, Keith's voice is limited so he'll nevr be able to offer much different.

If I have a criticism of BGAT, its in the fact that the song is so dense, so full of disperate sounds that much of the tension and  dynamic has been lost. Which ironically, makes you focus more heavily on the immediate (vox, beats, guitars).

BGAT does herald a change, I still mantain that the changes between albums and first new single from the next album, hasn't been that major so far. The move has always been quite gradual. The biggest change usually ideological. The changes that Liam implements are always at a deeper level than the immediate (I also don't think that there's a massove differnce between Radioheads OK Computer and Kid A for that matter, the changes are all surface level)

What I reckon is that The Prodigy have a sound which is immediately them, and they shouldn't be attacked for that. Now, if they were just putting out track after track that sounds exactly like the last one (Oasis, Travis, Chemical Brothers, the list is a long one) then yes, I would agree that the Prod should be consigned to history books. And I for one would be happy if the next album never comes out.

But I'm still not sure what kind of change people are after on these boards!!! And whether it s just change for the sake of it.

Maybe this is a new topic.
m

dessie

It just seems Like we have different views on BGAT.....Im not knocking you at all so their is no maliciousness in these words I post, so please dont take it as a swipe at you...its just real concern to see a band that i think are going through the motions and are slipping

To see the prodge becoming like an oasis would be criminal and so painful...the early signs are their, average live shows and dated new tracks....I just dont want to be the one to say i told you so in a years time....but hopefully youll be right and the prodge will be the ones having the last laugh

Most fans hang on liams every words so when he says the album will be more down tempo and electronic you expect something more than trigger,Nuclear and BGAT...hopefully their just LIVE tracks and wont appear on the LP...but I doubt that

as regards KidA and Okcomputer, with KidA radiohead experimented with a lot more sounds and used less guitars, which made for their most interesting and darkest Lp yet...
some tracks were leaning toward more of a Chaotic aphex twin sound

I was pleased to hear BGAT might not appear on the album, Its the only prodigy single ive ever bought and didn

St8ofbass

hey, i don't take any of this personally. its good to share opinions. and sometimes to spout off. but none of it is personal.
m

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:

Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

The Prodigy 34 pcs sticker set

Big set of The Prodigy stickers. 17 different designs (2 of each) and total of 34 stickers. Sticker sizes vary from 9 cm to 3,5 cm. Order here >