The Prodigy 34 pcs sticker set

Huge set of The Prodigy stickers. 17 different designs (2 of each) and total of 34 stickers. Sticker sizes vary from 7 cm to 3,5 cm. Order here >

Bass Drum on Jilted

Started by FuZion, September 03, 2005, 08:08:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FuZion

Hi guys,

I'm trying to recreate the bass drum sound off the jilted album, specifically from The Heat (Near the end) and Speed Way (Just after the intro). They sound really low, almost no top end at all with tons of reverb but I'm having difficulty getting that sound.

I've tried taking some more dancy/hardcore bass drum sounds and cutting off all of the high end and scooping out some mids but it's still not what I'm looking for.

Also, forgive my ignorance here as I've never used a real 909 just the samples in .wav format but I can't see how I could use any of them to get the sound I'm after... any help guys?

Stuff

Good question, those kicks has a special underground-rave-rumbling-warehouse-character to them (if we're thinking about the same..). Things i've noticed myself since 1994 but never really thought of...

Read in an interview that he used to spice his kicks with the Alesis Quadraverb at least in the Experience-era, so my personal solution about this issue is:  He connected his 909 through the Quadra into an Akai, sampled a kick with the added reverb on a decent level and Lowpassed the whole thing in the Akai sampler. Or maybe he sequenced the kick from the 909 with hi-cutted bassy reverb on it.
Somewhere i think it sounds like a TR-909 kickdrum in original.. But he used his fingertip feelings with the reverb on it, because it can be pretty risky using reverbs on kicks, so you have to adjust the reverb settings so it doesn't cut out too much or just sound like shit in the mix.

Guess the kicks here has high Attack and Tune, maybe not too much Decay - on the 909-buttons, so that they sound pouncy (and not too bouncy) in the original signal. Then the reverb adds the dimension of a longer note and more drawn out in the deeper registers, to make it 'bounce in a new way'.

Home Page | XML sitemap | Search | Feedback
Jussi Lahtinen © Copyright 1998-2024 All rights reserved.
This site is valid HTML5 & CSS - Web Designed with Accessibility in mind.

All images, audio, downloadable media, logos and registered trademarks are property of their respective owners.